Tuesday, November 30, 2010

The Heart of Human Being

The sun will still be rising
The sun will go to bed
For another 7 billion years
After I am dead.

And the world will take 6.999
9999 billion less
To lose every single record
Of all that my life ever meant.

I wonder after all that time
In all expanding space
Will there ever be found anything
As lovely as your face?

And in all those empty eons
After our sun's been consumed
Will there be any conscious creature
Who understands this empty room?

So I find my knees and I find my voice
And I beg God for relief.
But the thought occurs that maybe first
I should beg God for belief.

I don't need to know the future
But I'm trying to find some peace.
And I'd like to think, after we're all dead
There might still be some living thing.

That thinks and hears and understands
Why the humans sing.
That sees and feels and understands
The heart of human being.

No comments: