Thursday, September 16, 2010

Pearls

Sometimes I'm an oyster and sometimes you're a bird, and sometimes
While I'm making pearls you're out flying into windows, and I think
How is it that you never see these things coming?
True I'm careful, you say too careful, well I don't know
But the thing about pearls is that they are awful patient work,
It may take months, it my take years, but
You've got to take your time to get it right.

And sometimes I'm an oyster and sometimes you're a bird, and sometimes
While I'm making pearls you're out shitting all over statues, and I ask
Why can't you keep these things to yourself?
I don't share a lot, maybe there's not a lot to share, I don't know
But the thing about pearls is that they are awful private work,
I could never really share them until they're ready, cause
you can never really show them until they're done.

And sometimes I'm an oyster and sometimes you're a bird, and sometimes
While I'm making pearls you're out swarming with your flock, and I hope
One day you'll learn to be OK on your own.
You say I don't get out much, well where is there to go, I don't know
But the thing about pearls is that they're awful lonely work, Believe me
I wish I could find something worthwhile to do
That didn't mean sitting at the bottom of the ocean by myself.

But sometimes I'm an oyster and sometimes you're a bird, and sometimes
I know you hate it when I close myself so tight, but I swear
If you ever get me open...
Then I'll die.

I wish you understood, that if I could,
I would gladly go regurgitate some worms
If it meant that I could fly.
If it meant that we'd belong,
If it meant that I could soar by your side, but sometimes,
I am an oyster,
And well the thing is...

I've got this pearl that I've been working on.

- J. S. Guy

No comments: