Sunday, June 3, 2007

I'm Glad I'm a Boy, I'm Glad I'm a Girl

So I was introduced to my favorite book in a class where my professor was trying to make the point about texts being a relic through which we can study the social atmosphere at the time the text was produced because several prevailing social attitudes will be present in the text. Anyway, that said the reason it is my favorite book is because i think that it is funny. So funny. It is a children's book and it is absolutely sexist. I am not sure if it is trying to make some sort of ironic point or if it is straightforward sexist. I guess you would have to know more about Whitney Darrow Jr. to answer that. I have a digital copy of all of the pages that I got by request from my professor, and one of my good good friends printed it up at Kinko's and made a pseudo book for me for my birthday, so if anyone wants to read it just let me know.

Or you can buy it on the internet for $249.95.

No, for reals that is the going rate. It's not everyday that you find a children's book that has increased in value about 50,000%.

By the way, it is called
I'm Glad I'm a Boy, I'm Glad I'm a Girl
.

No comments: